Here is the recipe we used:
1/4 teaspoon of cream of tartar
1 cup of caster sugar
½ cup of mini chocolate chips
3 drops of red food colouring (you could alternatively use green food colouring and a couple of drops of peppermint essence)
2) Beat the egg whites and cream of tartar fast until soft peaks form then add the sugar 1 tablespoon at a time while still beating until stiff glossy peaks form
3) Fold in the chocolate chips and food colouring
4) Put teaspoons full on to a baking sheet covered with baking paper (makes about 40 dependent on how big you make them)
5) Bake for one hour until stiff and dry, turn off the oven and leave the meringue to dry out for another 2 hours.
6) Store in an airtight container and wrap in cellophane with a ribbon to give as gifts.
So the verdict is…. they are incredibly moreish and we expect they will be well received at Christmas. However, this batch probably won’t make it through the night.